ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Fitness
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Folks have asked for a place to talk about how they stay fit for diving. If lifting a Corona and hitting Post is not enough for you, check out these threads!

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

View Poll Results: How would you rate the importance to you as a diver?
Very Important. 45 51.14%
Some Level of Fitness is needed. 42 47.73%
Not Important > I just dive. 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2007, 06:36 AM   #51
jo8243
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 128
If you're not fit and you encounter challenging conditions (current, long swim, injured buddy), you may not be up to the task. Divers should be fit.
jo8243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #52
greyzen
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
While I don't think you need to be competing for Mr./Mrs. Fitness, I do think you should lead an 'active' lifestyle.

Even during my OW you could notice a huge difference between three classmates who were extremists.

1 was a tri-athlete, she wasn't even mildly tired after several hours in a pool.
Two of the class were, to be polite, rather large people and though nice.. you could tell about halfway through the classes they were more just pushing through the class instead of learning.
If you happened to get in the way of one of them... they would bowl you right over.. and I think it was because they were so tired they couldn't move around you.
greyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #53
ccarter
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
My Photos: 3 Images
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 0
I think it's pretty important.. but I have a fairly pretty active lifestyle any way with a mountain biking obsession. I can notice a difference from times I've been diving when I haven't been riding as much or at all.. it's much easier when I'm actually in shape.. and generally I'll use less air even though I don't get that many dives in a year.
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #54
BobArnold8265
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
I don't think you have to be able to run a marathon to dive but certainly being fit has its' advantages. If you're overweight, often it requires more lead to get you down. You are less streamline and use alot more air. In addition to diving though, I think being at a reasonable level of fitness allows you to enjoy all things in life a little better (and possibly for a little longer !!)
BobArnold8265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #55
DZorn00
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 2
Their Posts: 26
I am 316lbs and just to use less weight to sink is well worth the effort to cut lbs and get into shape,
DZorn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #56
Tableleg
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

In the past year, I've lost about 40 lbs (from 216 to a current 178) by fixing my diet and exercise. Here lately, I've been swimming a bunch, and I can remember this time last year being able to float close to the surface of the water when I exailed.

I'm to the point now where if I exhale and I'm not holding onto anything, I sink right to the bottom....

If loosing fat and gaining muscle has done anything for me, it's much easier to lug around all my gear because I don't have to carry so much weight. I only needed 8 lbs last dive I went on wearing a 5-4-3 wet suit.
Tableleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:31 PM   #57
peteg
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

It's very important, not just because being fit makes it easier to lug heavy gear around, and reduces your SAC, but because a healthy Cardio/Pulmonary system helps off-gas nitrogen faster. Although NDL recreational diving is very safe, being healthy stacks the deck in your favor just a little bit more against that 1 in a million chance of an undeserved hit.
peteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:10 PM   #58
scubasavvy
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 3
Their Posts: 2
I definitely think fitness is important. As mentioned before, it helps your air consumption when you're not sucking wind and it also helps to be able to get back on the boat at the end of the dive...
scubasavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #59
divingyogini
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
My vote was different before taking a rescue class

Given my experience and the cold water divers I've seen, I initially would have said somewhat important. But then I took a rescue class and had to do tired diver toes and carry people up onto the shore. Now I say it's very important - both the cardio vascular stamina to do the tows and the strength to carry people up onto shore.

When I say fit, I basically mean they have average fitness, not triathlete fitness. Basically following the basic guidelines of cardio training 3 times per week and resistance/strength training 2 times per week. I would also add in flexibility so that people can put their gear on comfortably and to avoid injury.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #60
Diverdude
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I agree that being fit for diving, or anything really, is very important. Having a strong core can allow you to do lots of different activities so much easier, such as moving in the water, lugging around heavy gear, towing a downed diver, etc... Plus, having a good strong cardio/pulmonary system can help with avoiding overexcersion underwater and can make swiming against currents a lot easier. Just my 2 cents.
Diverdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Fitness