ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Scuba Stories, Comments & Questions that don't fit elsewhere!
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Scuba Stories, Comments & Questions that don't fit elsewhere! I think the title says it all!

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-26-2007, 09:07 PM   #11
scuba Widow
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdad View Post
JWDIZNEY is right. You need to know were your fear really lies is water or the unknown in the water. My wife likes to swim but it freaks her out if she thinks that the fish might touch her. I have been working with her i even got her to go snorkeling once in Cozumel and once in Cast Away Kay (Disnyey's private island) she did real well until she saw a sting ray. But she wants to do it again.
I really think it is the water in general not the marine life...I work for a vet so animals are my passion and I would love to see all the beautiful colorful fish and other marine life. I think I am really afraid of not being able to breath, to complicate things I have asthma. Can I even think about diving with asthma? I saw in a thread that Queen is having to quit because of hers. If I can't eventually learn to dive I probably won't bother with learning to swim.

scuba Widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:07 PM   #12
divechaplain-sara
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
You can practice sitting at your kitchen table with a bowl of water. Put the mask on, dip your face in the water, blow bubbles out and lift your head to breath. Once you are comfortable with that, try it in the tub or a wading pool, then move to the shallow end of the pool and alternate practicing that with bobbing in the water--squatting down and then bouncing back up. If you love the feel of the water, I think you can get past the fear. Go to the Y or some other place that has a pool and take private swimming lessons.
divechaplain-sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:22 PM   #13
pnevai
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
Unfortunately, it is getting on winter. But here is a thing you can try. Of course it requires a pool. Perhaps you can use a friends if you do not have one or perhaps get one of those round pools that you can set up in the back yard, I think they even have inflateable ones now. It only has to be deep enough to cover your head when you sit down.

The next thing is to get a good fitting mask and snorkel(Comfortable and leak free) . Now at many pool stores there are a number of underwater games, or toys you can buy. You can even get creative and devise your own UW checkers or some such. It would be fun to play with the kids. The deal is you set up the game and sit in the pool with the mask and snorkel on and play. The point here is to accustom yourself to having water covering your face, by distracting you in game play. As you can easily stand up at any time, and the water is nice and clear. The distraction of your kids and the game will alleviate some of the discomfort of having your face in the water. Get a mask with a clear frame and silicon skirt, this will reduce any clustrophobic feelings.

Play the game on nice warm sunny days and threaten to beat the kids to a pulp if they start splashing you.

If all goes well in a while you will notice the water covering your face less and less until it becomes a non issue. At that point you sign up for swimming lessons at the local Y.

In many cases so long as the asthma is fairly mild and controllable with long lasting medication, you can qualify to dive. It is up to the doctor to know.

Did'nt some one creat a UW version of monopoly or some other board game?

Last edited by pnevai : 09-26-2007 at 11:26 PM.
pnevai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 AM   #14
YellowfinKunkfish
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
I don't know if I can help much but I too had a BIG fear of the water. I've been avoiding posting in this thread, because I really don't want to get flamed for still haveing some fear of the water, and possessing a C-card. But then I reminded myself, *this is not that other board....* I have been terrified of deep, dark water most of my life. I never swam in the lake or the ocean. I could swim in pools, and shallow creeks, but nothing else. Then I did my discover scuba dives. I love diving so much, that nothing (and I mean nothing) is going to get in my way. Now, I have not had any fear issues with my scuba gear on. I feel very safe with it on. But, at the same time I have only been diving in calm, shallow areas. For me, I think the fear is of the depth itself, and the sheer size of a body of water. Put me on a bridge in the middle of a large lake, and I get the heebeegeebees. Summer before last I went to visit my brother in Florida. I stood on the beach in Destin, and stared at the pretty green water and wished I was brave enough to actually get in!! My kids were splashing in the waves, but not me. It was just SO BIG!! So huge, I just couldn't get in. I have no idea what I would do on a dive in a large lake, with a depth over 60 feet. Someday soon, I will find out! I think I will be fine with gear on, but ask me to snorkel in it, and I will probably say no! I have been working on snorkeling, and swimming without my wetsuit on. Someday, I will go back to the beach in Destin, and jump right in!! I would suggest that you take a discover scuba, see if you like diving. If you really, really enjoy it then you will have something to really push you to overcome your fear.

Rhonda
YellowfinKunkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #15
cgvmer
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Please don't laugh at my suggestion, but it follow what many other have said: Have you tried using a sauna, where you can slip underwater slowly and come back up? It's like a big bathtub, you can feel the bottom and know you won't get lost.
Also, my local YMCA has pool used for the 6and under groups, the deepest part is 3ft, you may want to find out if any pools in your area have one of these...Again, shallow depth and slow entry
It's just another way of taking it slow.
cgvmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:37 AM   #16
dallasdivergirl
Grouper
ST-Forum Mod

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba Widow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasavvy View Post
Scuba Widow,

If you don't mind me asking, what is the extent of your fear? Do you swim? Do you hate swimming? Do you hate water on your face?
My fear is a huge one I almost drowned at 6 years old and Have been afraid ever since. I can't swim a lick, but love the feel of the water in general, finflippers says that I like the water on my terms, because I like to play in the shallow parts but have a hard time going under. I really want to learn how to swim and dive so I can go with finflippers, my daughter and eventually our grandson when he learns, but I have tried to put on a mask and really have a hard time breathing. I suffer from panic attacks and freak out rather easily, so I'm not sure how the diving thing will ever happen. My fear was so bad at one time that I hate to get my face in the water during a shower, that has somewhat subsided. I hope that helped to answer your questions.
Have you considered either talk therapy or medication for your panic attacks and anxeity? I have been on an anti-anxeity drug for the last 2 years, slowly weaning myself from the full dose I started with to now down to half. Maybe that can help you in some way.

http://beautybelow.com/
dallasdivergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #17
tbuckalew
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Water acclimation

SCUBA Widow - I don't want to step on any of the great ideas presented here so far. But, before you can snorkel, SCUBA, anything, you will probably need to learn to control your water fears. You are not alone, roughly 64% of Americans are afriad of the water - some downright terrified of any water anywhere. So this is very common.

First - read the following article. It is a very short interview with Melon Dash - an adult swim instructor specializing in working with those afraid of the water.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10711691/

Next, the Transpersonal Swim Institute is an adult swim training center specializing in those afraid of the water. They work with you in conquering your fears of water in a progressive manner - much like SCUBA cert levels - taking you to snorkeling and beyond. Unfortunately, they are only in a few locations - but there are similar companies across the USA and a quick Internet search should help you out. They may also be able to assist you in locating a company near you.
http://www.conquerfear.com/

Hang in there! It can be tough and, at times, feel like it is taking an eternity. Small steps and small goals will lead to the ultimate goal. Just commit yourself and work with someone specializing in helping you.

Toby
tbuckalew is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Scuba Stories, Comments & Questions that don't fit elsewhere!