ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Scuba Stories, Comments & Questions that don't fit elsewhere!
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Scuba Stories, Comments & Questions that don't fit elsewhere! I think the title says it all!

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #141
dutchman
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
There are other alternatives out there. However, DAN is the best know provider. I wouldn't dive without some type of coverage. Your normal health insurance won't cover a lot of dive specific occurrences.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #142
scubafreak
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Send a message via Skype™ to scubafreak
It boils down to the old saying " better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"

The DAN membership is less than the cost of a decent mask, surely your life is worth more?????
Old 09-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #143
tbuckalew
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Yes, and for a very good reason...

I signed us up for the family plan when my wife and daughter finally got certified. I work in the healthcare industry and commonly work with insurance companies. You would be amazed at what an insurance company will not cover as it is considered "risky". Costs associated with a diving accident are also not covered (medical transport, air evac, decompression chambers, etc). DAN actually works with your insurance company as soon as they are notified (and they are available 24x7x365, not jus M-F). This insures you get immediate action and decisions without you, or your family, having to worry about the details.

Remember, you may be a good diver but you have to watch for the accident and other divers - that is why they are called accidents. For example, I just got home from a trip to Maui. I was diving Molokini and there was a guy in the group that semed to Kamakazi everyone whe the divemaster pointed something out. Just about slammed me hard into the reef at 80 feet from behind when I was taking my turn to look.
tbuckalew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #144
quasimoto
Banned

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
I am a DAN member and will be from now on.

For those that are looking at the gear insurance you might think again. A friend of mine got an insurance policy with State Farm that cover his gear including his camera even if it floods. I don't remember what he called it but it is a policy on its own, not a rider. The guy that sold it to him is a diver as well so I would think that he knows what he is talking about. I think it is $13 a year and it covers all his gear.
quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:10 PM   #145
liuk3
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Yes. I am a DAN member and believe in the organization and what it provides.
liuk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #146
YellowfinKunkfish
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Yes, both my husband and I are members. Accident insurance, and life insurance.

Rhonda
YellowfinKunkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #147
cudachaser
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +
My Photos: 1 Images
Yes I am a DAN member
cudachaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #148
DZorn00
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 2
Their Posts: 26
Does any one know if you can have both DAN and Dive Assure? I am sure you can if you want to pay for both but will they work together. Assuming Someone does not have any insurance at all.
DZorn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #149
CompuDude
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZorn00 View Post
Does any one know if you can have both DAN and Dive Assure? I am sure you can if you want to pay for both but will they work together. Assuming Someone does not have any insurance at all.
I would imagine you can. DiveAssure is primary coverage, though, so they would pay first, and DAN would only cover what DA does not... if, that is, whatever it is DA does not cover is something covered by DAN. I would double check the policies pretty carefully, because I suspect the coverage overlaps so completely that DAN wouldn't end up paying anything, or hardly anything, so it's probably a waste to pay for both. Again, check the policies carefully, and decide if it's worth it for you.
CompuDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #150
wgt
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Another great reason to support DAN

When we think of DAN, we naturally tend to think of what it covers. However, the benefits of DAN do not end simply with coverage of expenses, as determined by the package purchased. For those who like to travel to remote destinations, it is important to note that DAN assists recompression facilities. This support does not come in the form of cash handouts to cover operating costs. However, DAN does try to assist with advice, technical matters, operational recommendations, training of personnel, etc. In addition to covering certain expenses related to emergency recompression therapy, for example, DAN effectively augments the availability, efficacy, and safety of care. In choosing to purchase DAN coverage, it is therefore important to remember that coverage for care is only one element of a larger equation. An increased probability that appropriate care will be available is also a notable benefit.

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Scuba Stories, Comments & Questions that don't fit elsewhere!